ARE YOU INTERESTED IN NURSING??????
Here are the necessary steps that one must follow on this journey:
1. Apply to HCC’s Admissions Office or online at www.hcc.commnet.edu.
- Apply to the General Studies Program – EB30 – NOT to the nursing program. You are NOT accepted into the nursing program at this point.
- If you have college credit from another institution, have your official transcript from that school sent to Admission Department at HCC for evaluation and possible addition of transfer credit to your HCC transcript.
2. When you are accepted into HCC, you will receive a letter from the Admissions Office, detailing your next steps, such as applying for financial aid, providing your vaccination records, etc. This letter will also explain how to sign up to take the placement tests in English and math. The placement tests will be required of any student who does not have sufficiently high SAT scores, has never taken English Composition and/or intermediate Algebra at the college level, or took these college-level courses several years ago.
3. Once you have your scores from the placement test, you are ready to see an advisor to help you select courses. You can go to the Advising Center or Counseling Office for your first semester, or consult the pre-nursing advisor, Sandra Barnes. You can access her office hours from the website, or check outside Professor Barnes’ office, C230 in Lafayette Hall.
4. During your first semester, you should seek out the pre-nursing advisor for advising for the rest of your semesters at HCC, and for information on when and how to apply to nursing school. You can contact Professor Barnes via e-mail: Sbarnes@hcc.commnet.edu. Phone calls are difficult to return, and are rarely answered during office hours, since other students are probably in the office being advised at this time.
5. You can find a complete list of courses required for the nursing program in the college catalog, online at the HCC website, from Bridgeport Hospital School of Nursing (http://www.bridgeporthospital.org/bhsn) or from the pre-nursing advisor.
HCC wishes you success in your endeavors!!!! Please let us know how we can help you fulfill your educational goals.